Tuesday, August 19, 2008

N.M.C.S Exclusive: 5 Rounds w/MMA Fighter Mikey Lovato...

R1- Give us your background and what got you started in MMA?
My background is wrestling. I started wrestling at the age of six. Well after college there was nothing else to compete in so one day I went up to Jackson's gym and got a taste of the mma game and ever since that day I was hooked. I feel that mma is a good outlet for wrestlers now it’s our turn to get respect!
R2- What's your thoughts on your opponent for this weekends Bike n' Brawl?
Well he has been on my mind a lot ever since the last fight. He has been a good sport through all this. But I really don't like him at the moment he cut my eye for starters and I have to cut to 125 again not to happy about that. But I do have to thank him it has been real easy to motivate myself in training. This is the best shape I have ever been in before a fight. I have learned a lot about my self as a fighter for this fight. He will be facing a different man this time.
R3- I read in a interview with your opponent that he brought in State Wrestling Champion's to train for you and your style, Are you doing anything different for the rematch?
Well that means he is worried about my style no doubt I controlled the whole fight last time with my wrestling skills. I have wrestled at the college level I am a three time state champ and a national champ I have beat guys on the Olympic ladder that doesn't worry me at all. But this is a fight not a wrestling match. I am going to beat him in all aspects of the mma game this time. My camp has changed a lot for this fight I am going back to my roots my Uncle Lenny Lovato has been my main trainer for this fight. No one knows how to train me physically or mentally like him. My game plan is not going to change this fight. The fight will end on the ground. Only thing that will change is my intensity I gave Jose to much respect last time, now I know what he brings to the table. I am not impressed at all. I am confident that I will win this fight.
R4- You train out of Jackson's MMA right? Your opponent said he has trained at Jackson's, have you ever trained with him?
For this fight I am not training at Jackson's. I am training at Albuquerque Kickboxing with Coach Ray Yee, He is working on my stand up, and Coach Lenny is working on everything else. I don't recall ever crossing Jose's path except in the last fight.
R5- Is there anything you would like to say to all your fans and sponsors?
I want to thank all my Burque fans for there support, there are no better fans in the world I love them all. I really want to thank everyone at Albuquerque Kick Boxing that has been helping me prepare for this fight. I want to thank my sponsors Los Vato's, GNC, and 240 Gear. I also want to thank NewMexicoCombatSports for supporting mma.