Wednesday, August 27, 2008

With win over Pulver, Garcia could fight WEC champ Faber -- in Mexico

by MMAjunkie.com Staff

WEC featherweight Leonard Garcia (11-3) is prepping for his Sept. 10 fight with Jens Pulver (22-9-1) -- and a potential title fight with WEC title-holder Urijah Faber (21-1). Gracia discussed the possibility of the championship bout while a guest on Monday's edition of TAGG Radio (www.taggradio.com), the official radio partner of MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). According to Garcia, WEC officials have essentially promised him the title shot if he beats Pulver -- and they've already scheduled both Garcia and Faber for a public-relations stop south of the border just a week after their upcoming fights.So, could the WEC be headed to Mexico for a Faber vs. Garcia fight? "They're flying me out six days after the (Pulver) fight to Mexico City to do a press conference and to make a huge announcement," Garcia said. "As I understand it, both Urijah and I are going. ... I think both of us just need to hold up our ends of the bargain on Sept. 10. "So yeah, you essentially hit the nail on the head." For the Garcia-Faber fight to happen, though, Faber also has to take care of business on Sept. 10. The longtime champ faces Mike Brown (17-4) in the night's main event. If the stars align, though, and both fighters win, Faber and Garcia could be the first headliners ever to represent Zuffa LLC in Mexico, which UFC and WEC officials have targeted as a definite destination for future expansion. Garcia, though, knows he has a tough fight with Pulver, and that's why he thinks a victory earns him a shot at the belt. "If I can do to Pulver what I have planned and what we think I'm going to do, which is finish him, we're going to turn back and say, 'Hey, we finished him in less than three rounds, and Urijah didn't finish him in five,'" Garcia said. Regardless, Garcia said fans should expect fireworks. "Styles make fights," he said. "(We) have styles that work well for the fans. I don't think Jens knows how to back away. I don't know how to go in reverse. It's going to be one of those fights that is beautiful on paper, and it's going to be one fans don't want to miss." Garcia will fight for the first time since making his WEC debut in February at WEC 32. There, Garcia picked up a quick, 91-second TKO of Hiroyuki Takaya. However, soon after the win, the former UFC fighter was arrested for alleged involvement in a Texas-based drug ring. Garcia, who continually maintained he was the victim of guilt by association, was recently cleared of all pending federal charges. In an interview with MMAjunkie.com soon after the charges were dropped, Garcia said he hung around with the wrong person three years ago and suffered the consequences. "Growing up, I was always taught that if you don't put your hand in the cookie jar, you don't get in trouble," Garcia said. "But, the legal system is a little different. If you're too close to the cookie jar, something can go wrong, and that's what happened in my case. "I had a bunch of friends that were taking different avenues in life. I fought for a living during those years, and you really don't have anybody to hang out with besides other fighters because they do the same thing you do. But in my situation in Texas, there weren't really any MMA schools, so the people I hung out with really don't go to work. They never went to work. You know -- I m mean, all I would tell people is that it's one of those things you have to go through. I told people a million times to watch who they hang out with. My parents always told me that. "It had to happen to me for me to see what could actually happen." Now, clear of the charges and with his career back on track, Garcia can see the silver lining to the situation. "It made my family get a lot closer," he said. "My little brothers, they think I'm like a superhero. 'Yeah, that's my brother.' Everywhere they go, they tell people about me and stuff like that. It was just terrible for my family, but they were always supportive. They didn't let me get down on myself." He said the WEC provided the same type of support. "The WEC had my back the whole time," Garcia said. "They said they would give me a big fight as soon as I come back." As it turns out, it may be two big fights. To download the complete interview, which includes some bizarre details of Garcia's arrest and his breakdown of the Pulver fight, check out the free TAGG Radio archives.